AF began in early 1990s with efforts to increase the participation of women in CBOs and their involvement in decision making of watershed development. Since then, AF has continued its efforts to integrate gender perspective within AF and in programmes in various ways.
The gender perspective evolved through a process of organization level reflection and learnings and resulted in:
- Moving towards a holistic perspective on gender and its mainstreaming in the organization and its programmes.
- Increased women’s participation in its activities and community based institutions.
- Women leadership promoted with an objective that they take up village issues.
- Efforts made to understand the role and participation of women and innovative attempts to integrate women in NRM and agriculture.
- Conscious and increased recruitment of women in the Staff.